Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Simple Repaint

I'd been thinking alot about this room,
it was a pretty room,
blue and white,
but some found the blue a little too much
I think.
So, I thought, let's just repaint it.
Nice and simple,
a quick update,
won't take long at all. 
Took all the furniture out,
except the bed,
and started on the undercoat.

Then I got to the unit in the corner.
To be honest, I have always struggled a bit with this unit,
I think it was the mirror at the back of it
or something,
so once I started with the heatgun and sandpaper
to take it back,
I decided the mirror had to go...
... and behind the mirror was a hole in the wall!!
'S okay I thought,
I'll get a new panel made to fit where the mirror was
and while I'm am it,
I think I'll replace the doors as well.
I love the t & g look,
and in a previous house I replaced some kitchen cabinet doors
with new ones made from simple MDF
but grooved out to look like t & g.
A quick call to the joinery guys
and doors and panel were under control.
Right next to the unit is the fireplace
and the fire surround,
made from kauri I think,
but so full of borer holes and tracks
that really it had to go.
You can see how the quick repaint is progressing:))
A couple of turns of the screwdriver
and the surround was gone.
The top of the surround is going to make the perfect seat.
But the rest...
stored under the house.
A trip to the local salvage yard followed
and it was destiny I'm sure,
as there at the very front of a whole stack of fire surrounds
was the perfect one.
It needs a little tlc,
but nothing that some sandpaper and paint wont fix.
Now, next to the fireplace is the wardrobe!!!
Why stop at just the walls, unit and fireplace I thought.
Let's change the wardrobe as well.
Whipped the front panels off,
though whipped is not really the right word,
cos they were seriously screwed on
and I reckon glued as well !!
My simple repaint is coming along nicely,
and it's probably just as well
that there are no more fixtures in the room
that I can get my hands on!
The new unit is looking fine:)
And the room looks a little like this right now...

I did intend being in there today putting on a top coat
'cos I can't wait to see how it looks.
But there's been quite alot of this the past couple of days...


...and it's a little chilly up that end of the house,
much much nicer down here by the fire :)
I'll do it tomorrow.

These little pretties don't seem to mind the snow...


Nor do I:))
See you
Jenny.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh boy, you make me tired just reading your blog. I love the tongue and groove look. I dream of that look in my kitchen!!!!!!!

By Hoki Quilts said...

Wow, when you get going you really get going. You know I kind of liked that dark blue and when I first saw it a fleeting thought was how smart it looked and would that suit our room?
Now I can't wait to see what you are going to do next.
hugs
Miche'le

Deb said...

Gorgeous Jenny, absolutely stunning, can't wait to see more

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! haven't you been busy.It looks goreous. Will wait to see the finished looks. love the snow pictures...cheers Di

brandy1 said...

Crikey, where do you get your energy from. I love white, keep your room light and white and add colour with accessories!No snow here in the Waikato!Shirley