Monday, July 4, 2011

The cottage and it's garden

Two years ago I found the cottage at the top of the stairs.
I visited once on a Saturday, once the next Saturday, and once again in the middle of the following week.
Then I knew for sure that this was where I wanted to live.
(actually, to be honest, I knew the very first time I walked through the front door, and Jake knew that I knew, 'cos he saw that look in my eye!!:))


The cottage is our home.
And it is a "bed and breakfast" for guests from all over the world.

I have plans and dreams for the cottage and it's garden,
painting and colours,
plants and garden beds,
verandah nooks,
gorgeous bedrooms,
quilts and pillows,
places to sit and relax at the end of the day.

Where to start?
In the garden, I think.
These beds - along the back fence - desperately needed some loving, and slightly ruthless, attention.
I've neglected them a little and I made a gutsy decision to rip out any plants that I did not like!!


This was about half way through the ''lets get rid of the uglies'' garden session - now it's looking pretty bare, but there are foxgloves replanted, rose bushes have been moved in, and  penstemon cuttings transplanted.

This is a look down the other way...


There are spring bulbs coming up already in this garden bed, though you wouldn't have known it before I got started - I'm ashamed to say that it was so overgrown here, I had no idea what I would find. 

A little house for the garden faeries :)


Even though it's pretty chilly at the moment,
 and much of the garden seems to be in hibernation, 
there are still pretty little pockets of colour...






So after tackling that garden bed last week, I felt like doing something a little different this week.

Painting!
Furniture, though, not the house.
Old pieces that I have been meaning to repaint for years. 
I've done all the undercoating,
and now I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a good day tomorrow so I can do the top coats.

Show you soon:)


Keep snuggly and warm.

Jenny




No comments: